As a nationally registered historic landmark dating from ca. 1670, some might joke that not much is new at Staten Island’s Conference House; however, their new website is less than 1 week old! Starting this week, returning visitors to conferencehouse.org will be surprised with the site's new appearence and layout which allows users to navigate through the site to learn about news, events and the history of the museum.
Built by British immigrant Captain Christopher Billopp circa 1670, the stone manor was referred to as the Billopp Estate for nearly a century until September 1776 when British Commander Lord Howe called for a peace meeting at the estate which would attempt to end the Revolutionary War. Among those in attendance were Edward Rutledge, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. While this peace conference was ultimately unsuccessful, the historical significance of the meeting was renowned and overtime the manse gained the name "The Conference House."
The Conference House today hosts many events, tours, historical reenactments and festivals, especially during the more temperate seasons throughout the year. With spring being the best time to launch, there will soon be plenty on the horizon of Conference House Calendar. Visit their new website by clicking this link and be sure to check back periodically for new events and happenings during the late spring and summer of 2012!