Most business owners I speak with aren't clear on what their business goals are for their website. They know they want more customers. For the most part they have created an extension of their business card online, but they haven't set up a blueprint for how to funnel the visitor into:
- Providing lead information
- Making a Purchase
- Signing up for a Newsletter
- Engaging in performing a planned specific action
In order to set up a blueprint you need to answer the following questions
What Kind of transaction are you looking to create?
- Purchases (Retailers)
- Leads (Consultative Sales)
- Newsletter (Blog)
- Engagement (Blog)
Measure your success on Google Analytics though:
- Dollar Value of Purchases ( retailers)
- Number of Leads (Consultative Services)
- Number of Newsletter Sign-ups (Blog)
- Number of Downloads (Sales or Blog)
- Number of Minutes watching a video (Blog)
Figure out what your conversion rate is, and realize that there is value in the percentage of non-conversions due to later visitations.
Set goals for conversions on your site through Google Analytics. This video explains how. It will also show you how to link your Adwords account to your Google Analytics account. This will allow you to measure the effectiveness of paid traffic on your website. You can watch the traffic flow to see what each visitor does before converting. This lets you see what is working and what's not.
If you don't have the time to do the planning and analysis yourself, BetterBizWorks can manage everything for you. Give us a call at 212-904-0020. We would be happy to help you.